Ramadan at Kijana Kwanza
(Young People First)
For many Muslims across the globe, Ramadan in lockdown will be a strange experience, with the faithful unable to attend the mosque for communal prayers or share iftar (fast-breaking meal) with friends.
Yet this is also the time
when our communities need us most. And in Moshi, Tanzania where Kijana Kwanza
is based, the poorest in our neighbourhood have come to rely on the
organisation for their basic needs. We hope, that despite the challenging
economic times, our Muslim friends and donors, will continue to support us.
Our Appeals this Ramadan
- Iftar and Suhur at Kijana Kwanza
Every day, we will be serving iftar and suhur for 45 children and their carers at on-site. The cost for each meal is £50/$60. Donate here.
- Fidya (compensation) for Sick & Unwell
If you are unable to fast during Ramadan because of long-term illness or old age you can pay fidya to Kijana Kwanza at a cost of £1.50/$2 per fast. We will distribute your fidya now and beyond Ramadan to provide meals for poor people in Tanzania. Pay your fidya here.
- Zakat (Alms) Funds
We’re collecting Zakat to provide sponsorship for students and urgent assistance for those living in poverty. Donate your Zakat here.
- Expansion Appeal
Over the next 6 months, Kijana Kwanza is expanding its capacity from 24 beds to 52 beds, providing shelter and education for more children and young people. We need to raise £25,000/$30,000 to make this possible. Please donate here.
- Zakat al-Fitr (Alms on the festival of Eid al-Fitr) – £5/$6 per person
In advance of Eid al-Fitr we will be distributing Zakat al-Fitr to poor people in Moshi and other parts of Tanzania. You can give you Zakat al-Fitr here.
Can you fundraise for us?
We have some quick ideas of how you can help:
- Donate for FREE by signing up to our mailing list here, and our corporate sponsors will donate £1 to Kijana Kwanza.
- Climb Kilimanjaro at Home – take part in an epic climb equivalent to the height of Africa’s tallest summit on your own staircase. For more information, click here.
- Setup your own fundraising challenge reflecting your spiritual or health goals this Ramadan. You can ask your friends and family to support you by donating to your fundraising page. You can setup a fundraising page here and click on “Fundraise”.